Have you been told that you snore? Does your snoring drive the other members of your household crazy? If so, you might want to wonder if it’s just a snore, or something more.
Just a snore?
DID YOU KNOW?
Individuals dealing with sleep apnea may awaken abruptly gasping for air upwards of 30 times per hour during sleep. Untreated sleep apnea can increase the risk of serious health problems, including heart disease and diabetes.
Not so harmless noise
Persistent snoring is just one of the symptoms of a condition known as sleep apnea. Those who suffer from apnea are also likely to experience:
- Dry mouth or sore throat upon waking
- Morning headaches
- Constant exhaustion
- The inability to focus
- Moodiness and irritability
Find out if you're at risk of having Sleep Apnea
At the Marcus Dental Practice, we are passionate about your health, as well as your happiness. So we have developed a quick quiz to help analyze your personal risk level for Obstructive Sleep Apnea. This 15 second quiz will help us determine if you might be vulnerable to the sometimes less-obvious effects of Sleep Apnea.
SILENCING THE SNORE
Here is where we shine! We can treat your sleep apnea and prevent not only snoring, but other associated risks such as:
- Increased risk of diabetes
- Increased risk of hypertension and stroke
- Increased risk of heart disease and heart attacks
- Increased risk of depression, anxiety, and other mood disorders
- Increased risk of accidents that result from exhaustion
At the Marcus Dental Practice, we can provide a solution that will allow you to sleep soundly at night and be productive all day long — without the need for a CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) machine that many apnea sufferers struggle with.
Oral Appliances - A CPAP Alternative
Ask anyone who has tried to cure their sleep apnea with a CPAP machine and they’ll tell you: It’s noisy, it’s cumbersome, and it prevents movement during the night. At the Marcus Dental Practice, one of the ways we treat sleep apnea is with the use of an oral appliance that is worn as you sleep. The benefits are numerous, including:
- They are small, discrete, and easy to transport. No need to lug anything extra with you on trips out of town.
- They allow you (and your partner) to enjoy a silent night. No snoring and no whirring noise!
- They allow freedom of movement as you sleep. Whether you sleep on your back, stomach, or side, you won’t be tethered to a machine.
Orthodontics Could Be the Answer
Another effective solution for sufferers of sleep apnea is orthodontics. In many cases, braces allow us to permanently open the airway, allowing you to breathe freely at night. Here are a few of the ways orthodontics can help:
- Many people are born with an undersized dental arch. The protocol used to be to remove teeth to create room, but that failed to address the size of the arch. Now, we can use orthodontics to expand the size of the dental arch, which helps everything else involved in breathing fall into place.
- The tongue is another factor that can lead to airway obstruction; this is most evident in people who sleep on their backs. As a result of gravity, the tongue naturally falls towards the back of the throat. With an ample dental arch, there is plenty of room in the mouth to accommodate the tongue. Without it, the tongue is forced back far enough to block the airway.
Did you know?
The sleep apnea facts and statistics show one in five adults suffer from this breathing disorder. Knowing you are not alone and arming yourself with the facts about this problem can help you get the treatment you need.
Alarmed by your snore?
While sleep apnea can affect anyone at any age, it is more likely to occur in males over 40 years old. The following could also increase your risk:
- Being overweight
- Having a large neck circumference (17 inches or greater) or larger than average tongue or tonsils
- Nasal blockage caused by colds, allergies, or sinus infections
- A family history of sleep apnea
No one tells it more perfectly than our patients
“Dr. Marcus (Michael) is truly a life saver! He is the super hero of all dentists. He is the most understanding, gentle, compassionate dentist who takes the time to make you feel comfortable and safe. I have serious fears of the dentist from horrible past experiences, but Dr. Marcus takes away all my worries. He…
“I wish I could give more stars! My appointment with Dr Marcus was Life Changing!!! I went in for a 2nd opinion, my crown was chipped & hurting. Dr M told me I was clenching & told me I was not getting deep sleep…. well I am 53 yrs old, always tired, never had dreams…
“I cannot imagine a more professional, competent and friendly dental practice. I actually look forward to my dental appointments. I have been a patient here for over twenty years and have had complex dental needs during that time. I highly recommend this practice.”
“My experience with Dr. Marcus and his team made it clear to me that they are genuinely committed to the well-being of their patients’ dental health. They took the time to listen to all of my concerns and then outlined a very clear plan for treatment.”
“This dental office is absolutely top-notch. Dr Marcus is excellent and has brought my husband’s mouth back into good dental health after years of cracked teeth and root canals. The office is run with professionalism and I have never been kept waiting for an appointment. Highly recommend!”
“There’s a reason I’ve been coming here for over 2 decades! Not many can say they enjoy their experience at the dentist, but I can! Love Dr. Marcus and his team (Joan, Dawn, etc.).”
Call us today! 312-263-6898