When people think of dentistry, they likely think of teeth. That’s certainly part of it, but at Marcus Dental Practice, we care about your gum health, as well. Why? Because gum disease is the leading cause of tooth loss in American adults. Your smile is your greatest asset, so it’s important that you do everything in your power to keep those pearly whites in place. The following information will help you do just that.
Plaque is a naturally occurring sticky substance that forms on your teeth. When the plaque is not removed by brushing and flossing, it hardens into tartar, which then causes the gums to become inflamed and infected. The symptoms include:
- Gums that bleed while brushing or flossing
- Gums that pull away from the teeth
- Persistent bad breath
- Loose teeth
If untreated, the jaw, gums, and connective tissue become compromised, leading to tooth loss.
An Ounce of Prevention
When you lose your teeth, you’re faced with a number of problems. How will your smile be affected? Will you be able to speak clearly? Can you eat what you want? The best plan is to prevent gum disease from occurring in the first place. Here is what you can do to keep your teeth and gums healthy:
- Brush at least twice a day, preferably after every meal. This helps to remove the plaque from your teeth, preventing it from hardening into tartar.
- Floss every single day! This is the only way to remove plaque, bacteria, and food particles from between your teeth.
- Go to the dentist every six months, without fail. A professional cleaning and exam not only prevents gum disease, it allows us to catch the disease in its early stages when it can actually be reversed.
If you live in or near the Chicago Loop, we’d love to help you maintain your smile! Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.