At the Marcus Dental Practice, we try to save your teeth whenever possible, but sometimes, an extraction is necessary. When that is the case, your mind starts racing with questions: How will the tooth loss affect your smile? Will it change the way people look at you? What are your replacement options? Will they work with your lifestyle? The good news is that there is a solution to tooth loss that will allow you to enjoy life as usual: Dental implants.
What Are Implants?
Dental implants are small, titanium posts that look like the threaded part of a screw. These posts are surgically placed in your jaw where they mimic the function of a natural tooth root. After your jaw and gums have healed, a natural-looking prosthetic tooth is permanently attached to the implant and your smile is restored. While implants are certainly aesthetically pleasing, there are many reasons why dentists and patients choose implants over other replacement options, such as:
- Unparalleled stability — Other replacement options slip and slide around your mouth. Because the implant itself functions as a tooth root, your prosthetic tooth won’t move.
- Freedom to eat — You’ll never have to turn down a social opportunity because you’re afraid there will be nothing your teeth can chew sufficiently. The stability provided by implants means that you can eat what you want. From a fresh apple to the toughest piece of beef jerky, your implant can handle the chewing.
- Easy cleaning — No overnight soaking required. Simply clean your prosthetic teeth as you would natural teeth: brush after every meal, floss daily, and visit your dentist as recommended.
- Clear speech — When dentures and bridges aren’t properly affixed, they make speaking difficult. With implants, you don’t have to worry about clicking or whistling sounds when you speak.
- Improved confidence — This is a big one. If a missing tooth is making you self-conscious, then you’re not enjoying life to its fullest. Instead, you’re worried about covering your mouth when you laugh, opening your mouth as little as possible when speaking, and keeping it completely closed when you smile. Implants remove those pressures and allow you to feel good about sharing your smile with the world.
If you live in or near the Chicago Loop and are faced with tooth loss, let us help. Together, we can devise a plan that will restore your smile and your confidence. Contact our office today to schedule a consultation.